Home » Uncategorized

The Roadhouse High Quality Podcasts

10 March 2007 31,512 views 23 Comments

You can now subscribe to The Roadhouse Premium or The Roadhouse Deluxe: ad-free high-quality versions of the weekly Roadhouse Podcast. We’ll provide you with a custom feed or direct download link, you can sit back and enjoy the finest blues you’ve never heard – without the ads. At $14.99 per year for The Roadhouse Premium, or $24.99 per year for The Roadhouse Deluxe, it’s a great way to enjoy The Roadhouse.

Get all the details and subscribe here today.

23 Comments »

• Randy said:

I’m in, Tony! Show 81 was all the sales pitch you need. Thanks for making my morning with that rockin’ show.

I never felt the ads were out of place. I subscribed to the premium for the higher bitrate, and to show my support for the finest Blues show on the web. Thanks for all your hard work, Tony!

• Michael said:

I second that – I have enjoyed the roadhouse everyweek for a long time now – I also don’t mind the ads, but want to supprt the Roadhouse podcast

• Denis said:

This is a great show. Glad I found you!

• Sebastian said:

hi Tony. I am using the latest Songbird.com player (latest nightly) and I have no idea how to correctly subsribe to the feed (the free one that is). Can you maybe quickly (or someone else) tell me how to subscribe? If i use the URL for the RSS that I use in Winamp, if I use that one in Songbird, all it gives me is like… the cast of 52, 53 and so on…

help much appreciated. lookin’ forward to the next shop, keep a rockin!

• Sebastian said:

oops, Songbirdnest.com that is 😉

• Joe said:

I’ve signed up for a year! How do I download the podcasts to my Ipod though. When I click on the episode, it starts playing instead of downloading.

• Tony Steidler-Dennison (author) said:

Joe:

If you’re using the direct download link, you should be able to right click and “Save As” on the show you want to download. If you’re using the feed address, you’ll need to copy the address and paste it into you podcatching client.

Please let me know if you have any other issues by sending email to support@roadhousepodcast.com. We have a couple of people watching that address, so you should get a timely response.

• Frank said:

I have listened to your show for the last 52 weeks and have enjoyed a great show that is raw, energetic, and sports new talent every week. Like other podcasts that have become successful in their own right, I expected that you would have some advertisements. Now with the intoduction of a premium service on The Roadhouse, I feel that you are alienating many of your listeners. One premium service for paying consumers and a lower quality show for the rest of us. This sounds too familiar in other places such as cable TV (I hate the cable companies) and the phone company. What’s next Tony? Will you sell out to the record companies? Maybe stay on and play what they want you to play? If this keeps up, will we need to have pay services for all of the podcasts out there, good or bad? Think about it.

• Tony Steidler-Dennison (author) said:

Thanks, Frank. I appreciate your comments. I have a few responses.

Regarding a ” ... lower quality show … “. The ad-supported version is still encoded at 128 – higher, I believe, than most other music podcasts, especially those coming in at an hour every week.

To some extent, I already play what the labels want me to play. They’re kind enough to provide me with permissions and with promo CDs. I generally play music from those CDs. Do they dictate my playlist? Absolutely not. But, the blues labels are far ahead of most mainstream labels in their view of podcasting. They make it possible to have some great artists on the show, and I do play the new music they provide to me. I think it’s a fair trade.

Let’s talk about other subscription services. I subscribe to Sirius Satellite Radio. It’s $12.95 a month. I also own two TiVos and subscribe to their service. If memory serves, the first unit is also $12.95 a month, with the second at $6.95.

The pricing on the Premium Roadhouse is $14.99 for a year – 52 hours of blues music. I don’t think that’s a high price, though certainly my judgement may be a bit skewed. The bottom line is that I haven’t just closed up shop on the ad-supported version in favor of a completely for-pay model. I’m not aware of any other for-pay podcast that still provides a free version, as well. It’s a matter of choice.

If I lived in a country where bandwidth and storage were free, and ~500 hours a year of preparation and production time were compensated by the government, there would only be one version of the show, and it would be ad-free. I don’t. And, as much as I honestly enjoy providing the show every week, there are costs.

Finally, the revenues generated from the premium version will now almost cover my BMI fees on the music that you love. The artists need compensation, too. There is a price to pay.

• Rod Adams said:

Tony:

I am glad that you do not live in a country where bandwidth and storage are free. If you did, there is little likelihood that they would be available for a free spirited hour’s worth of blues music every week. I like living in a country where people are free to spend their time and money in ways that make them happy. Your podcast makes me very happy and has helped ease the burden of a number of long commutes.

I plan to sign up for the premium service and hope that you continue to do what you are doing for a very long time.

Rod

• Anton said:

Frank,

I think you are missing the point here.

The regular listeners continue to get the exact same thing they have enjoyed since the beginning of the show. The quality is above average, the music well chosen and the ads short and to the point. I think $15 a year is a good deal just to support the show, the higher bitrate feed and extra content makes it that much sweeter.

Is a restaurant alienating it’s patrons when it charges more for the 24oz ribeye than the 8oz sirloin?

• Dale said:

Tony,
    Just found your show yesterday on iTunes. After visiting your site, I became an instant subscriber to the premium service just to support such a great show. I’ve been a fan of the Blues since my High School days in the late 60’s and I have to say that you’re an asset to the Blues art form.
    Yesterday afternoon, I downloaded a show onto a small mp3 player and listened to it while mowing the lawn. It takes me about an hour so the shows length is perfect. The neighbors must have thought I was crazy but I was in heaven!

• Andy B said:

Tony,

You’re doing great work here and it is much appreciated. I just subscribed to the premium feed. That dude Frank needs to chill. The free version is great in it’s own right and besides, I wonder how much of his own time and efforts he is willing to give away to the greater world free of charge. Never ceases to amaze me how many people want something for nothing. Thanks for the great programming!

• Jerry P said:

Tony,

It amazes me how no matter how hard you work for the benefit of others, there will always be some who complain. I will NEVER complain about your podcast! Since your podcast gives me the equivalent of about 50 truly top-shelf CDs per year for less than the retail on 1 CD, only a FOOL would see any downside to that! You serve your fellow fans with grace and dignity. If I had any disappointment since subscribing, it is that your paid-cast has less commentary, something I enjoy. You really are an interesting person to listen to!

Keep up the good work Tony-Boy! Your supporters are truly in the majority!

• Steve D. said:

“The Roadhouse Premium
    Monday September 11th 2006, 1:59 pm”

If the date is right on this article I’d like to lay a few bets down on the November elections.

Hey Tony,

I love the podcast. I’ve been listening since show 25 or so. I’d join the premium in a second if I weren’t on disability. Money’s just too tight. Sounds like a blues song.

Funny thing is, I listen to the blues to cheer myself up … and it works.

Thanks for all that you do.

Steve

• Rod Minarik said:

I drive taxi and there is no blues stations around here.. Almost went XM Radio…For our town, its a BBQ joint or occasional club w/ a blues entertainer. Now with my itunes, Ipod and your Roadhouse.. we tripping down the rockin road!

• James said:

Hi Tony,
    I discovered your podcast about two weeks ago on iTunes. Actually this was my first venture at becoming a podcatcher. Wow, what a find it was. You are casting quite a remarkable show.
    Please accept my apologies; I was the person who mistakenly made the remark about the puppy in the background. I am delighted that you found this humorous and not insulting.
    It didn’t take me any time at all to become a Roadhouse Premium subscriber. This is a great work of art that you are performing for the true blues lovers in this world. You are also providing a fabulous service, and I am truly getting more that every cent spent for the Premium.
    Keep up the great shows and I am definitely spread nothing but good things about The Roadhouse to all the blues enthusiasts in the Portland/Vancouver area that I have contact with.

• James said:

Hi Tony,

• Doug Kaye said:

$14.99 is a bargain for the best music podcast on the ‘Net. I’d pay that even with the commercials. Keep up the great work, Tony.

• Cheryl said:

Hi Tony

Just want to say keep up the good work! I too came across this podcast by accident and within two listens I signed up to the Premium service because it works out about 17p per episode in the UK and I also wanted to support this excellent show – we’re severely deprived of real blues music in deepest darkest Wales (unless I decide to play my version of the blues on my guitar).

Look forward to Roadhouse 212.

Cheryl

• Tony Steidler-Dennison (author) said:

Thanks, Cheryl. I’m always glad to lift the spirits in the land of my ancestry. (This Iowa boy is Scots-Irish and Welsh.)

• Rob said:

I finally upgraded from Premier to Deluxe yesterday and am wondering what took me so long. Having the cover art alone is reason enough, but the chapterization is the icing on the cake. Works great with my new Sync-equipped Ford Fusion. With Deluxe, I can now move between tracks within a Roadhouse podcast like it is a playlist, instead of having no way to FF or REW.

Now I have an excuse to listen to all those episodes all over again!

• Kevin Epperson said:

Congrats on your 500th Roadhouse, Tony! As a Harp player I really enjoy the way you often

start out with jump blues. Thanks for years of my favorite program on any media.

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: